I thought I would give you a little look at the goings on in Memphis this week. The city will be filled with blues lovers as the Blues Foundation Blues Music Awards are on tap.
The Blues Music Awards sponsored by the Blues Foundation are Thursday night. While the ceremony is Thursday, there is planty hppening during the week.
The BMA is fun for the fans because you are right in the middle of the festivities. Members of the Blues Foundation are the ones actually doing the voting.
A highlight of the weekend will be the opening of the Blues Hall of Fame Friday morning.
Schedule of Events
Here is the basic schedule for the 2015 Blues Music Awards, the 36th year of these prestigious awards.
Official Events Located at:
- The Sheraton Memphis Downtown, 250 North Main Street
- The Cook Convention Center, 255 North Main Street
Wednesday, May 6
- 1:00pm-5:00pm – Will Call and BMA Merchandise Sales – Ticket Desk Cook Convention Center (immediately across street from Sheraton entrance)
- 5:00pm – Bernie Pearl & Barbara Morrison – Rum Boogie Café
- 8:00pm Anthony Gomes and autographed Stratocaster guitar raffle – Purple Haze Nightclub
- 8:30pm – Big LLou’s 3rd Annual Blues Hall of Fame Tribute Jam – Benefit for Generation Blues & Fernando Jones’ Blues Kids with Elvin Bishop & John Nemeth, Canned Heat, IBC winner Eddie Cotton Jackie Scott, Igor Prado and more – Hard Rock Café
- 9:00pm – Anthony Gomes – Purple Haze
Thursday, May 7
- 10:00am — Will Call and BMA Merchandise Sales – Ticket Desk Cook Convention Center (immediately across street from Sheraton entrance)
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm – Health Screening for blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, custom ear plugs provided by Musicares and more. Sheraton Memphis Downtown (St. Louis foyer at top of escalator)
- 1:00pm-3:00pm Yellow Dog Records Showcase with Fo’ Reel and Eden Brent – B.B. King’s, 143 Beale free
- 1:30pm – 3:30pm – The Recording Academy Chicago & Memphis Chapters Reception Celebrating the Blues Music Awards – Heritage Ballroom Sheraton Memphis Downtown
- 5:30pm — The Party Begins reception featuring performances by 2015 Blues Music Award nominees – Grand Lobby, Cook Convention Center
- 5:30-9:45pm — Auction & Blues Music Award Merchandise Sales – Outside the Ballroom, Cook Convention Center
- 6:30pm-1:00am — Dinner, Awards & Nominee performances – Ballroom, Cook Convention Center
Friday, May 8
- 10:00am-5:00pm — Grand Opening of the Blues Hall of Fame – 421 South Main
- 11:00am-11:00pm — Tennessee Brewery Revival with Billy Gibson – 495 Tennessee Street (2 blocks from Blues Hall of Fame)
- 1:00-5:00pm Brandon Santini’s 4th Beale Street Mess Around – Proceeds benefit the HART Fund. With performances by: Janiva Magness, John Primer & Bob Corritore, Victor Wainwright, Jarekus Singleton, Andy T- Nick Nixon Band, EG Kight & Greg Nagy, Monster Mike Welch & Anthony Geraci, Igor Prado, Lisa Mann, Annika Chambers, Mick Kolassa, Jeff Jensen Band, Wendy DeWitt & Kirk Harwood & more – Rum Boogie Café
- 4:30-8:30pm Play-it-Forward Fundraiser – benefiting Generation Blues. Featuring Andy T-Nick Nixon Band, Janiva Magness, Bandon Santini, John Primer with Bob Corritore, EG Kight, Lisa Mann plus many other special guests. – Hard Rock Café
- 4:30pm Barbara Blue Beale Street Note Dedication – Silky Sullivan’s
- 6:00pm-10:00pm – 30th Anniversary with Tas Cru & Band of Tortured Souls – Rum Boogie Café
- 8:00 pm BMA Blues Jam proudly presented by 2 Left Feet – Featuring The Electrix (Eli Cook, Scott Holt, Eddie Turner), Roger Earl & Bryan Bassett of Foghat, Billy Blough & Jeff Simon of the George Thorogood Band and more – Earnestine & Hazel’s
- 9:00pm – Bernie Pearl & Barbara Morrison – Blues Hall
- 10:00pm – 30th Anniversary with Vizztone Label Group Presents: Bob Margolin, Amanda Fish, Dave Gross, Long Tall Deb, Rob Stone and more – Rum Boogie Café
- 10:00pm – Barbara Blue’s OFFICIAL CD RELEASE PARTY – Hard Rock Cafe
Satururday, May 9
- 10:00am-5:00pm — Blues Hall of Fame Open – 421 South Main
- 5:30pm – 30th Anniversary with Women in Blues Showcase – Rum Boogie Café
- 9:00pm – 30th Anniversary with Gracie Curran & the High Falutin’ Band – Rum Boogie Café
Sunday, May 10
- 1:00pm-5:00pm — Blues Hall of Fame Open – 421 South Main